Family Violence Help
Family Violence Help
Family violence is violent, threatening or other behaviour that, coerces or controls a member or members of the person’s family or causes the family member to be fearful. You or your children don't need to be physically hurt to have experienced domestic or family violence.
Family violence is often about a pattern of behaviour that causes fear. It can include abuse that is emotional, psychological, physical, sexual, financial, verbal or social - as well as a range of other behaviours.
If you are unsure whether you or your children are being subjected to family violence, you can get help and support by contacting
1800 737 732 or accessing the 1800 Respect Website. This is a trusted resource which provides detailed information to help identify family violence and lists supports that are available. The support provided is confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Everyone has a right to feel safe and to live free from violence. If you think you are experiencing family violence, you can get help and support.
Migration and Family Violence
You should get urgent legal advice if you are on a visa or seeking a visa which is dependent on your relationship with your partner, and you are separated or separating.
This is a complex area of law and timing is important.
Do not delay, seek legal help urgently.
Pets and family violence
There are a number of services that may be able to assist with crisis care for pets in situations where someone is experiencing family violence and is worried about the welfare of their pet if they leave the relationship.
- New South Wales, RSPCA Community Domestic Violence Program
- Victoria, Eastern Domestic Violence Outreach Service
- Victoria, Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre
- Queensland, RSPCA Pets in Crisis
- South Australia, RSPCA Safe Kennels DV Project
- South Australia, Safe Pets Safe Families Organisation
- Western Australia, RSPCA Pets in Crisis Scheme
- WA Safe Families Safe Pets: (08) 9300 0340
- Tasmania, RSPCA Safe Beds For Pets Program
- Northern Territory, Dawn House
- Australian Capital Territory, RSPCA Project Safe
- Australian Capital Territory, Domestic Violence Crisis Service