Step 3 of 6

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

Your Timing

Why do I need to check my timing?

There is no time limit if a couple wants to reach an informal agreement between themselves (without going to court or filing for consent orders.)

However, time limits apply should a couple wish or need to seek formal orders (by consent or through litigation.)

Time limits can apply where you want to apply to the family courts regarding:

  • the division of money and property, and
  • spousal maintenance.

These time limits do not apply in relation to making parenting arrangements.

Once any of these time limits expire you need special permission of the court to make a claim. Permission is only granted in limited circumstances.

Check your situation below.

You should not use amica if any of the time limits described below will expire in the next 3 months.

You can seek legal help from the free Legal Help Line in your state or territory.